Thursday, January 26, 2012

Staying positive during challenging times

So today I am learning how to turn a hurdle into a blessing.  This morning was my weekly weigh in, and according to the scale, I am up 2 pounds for the week.    Of course I am disappointed by the number and a little discouraged, but thanks to my awesome life coach Becky Sampson, I am learning how to push past this and turn it into a positive rather than a negative.  During our morning call this morning, she taught me that it is important to not get attached to results.  Instead focus on measuring my activity, and the results will happen.  I had to take a look at my activity from the past week and see what I can improve on for this next week.  In looking back, I am happy to say that I didn't cheat on my food at all, but I could have tried a little harder to be more active in my daily life.  One area that I struggle with is the amount of time I spend on Facebook.  As much as I love all of you for your encouragement and support, this past week I have realized I have been relying on that a little bit too much.  Another thing Becky told me this morning was that it is none of my business what other people think of me.  That has really helped me get over this hurdle, because one of the first things I thought when I got on the scale this morning is, what a disappointment I am to those who are supporting me.  I felt like I let everyone down including myself, and I didn't think I could face that.  I have done a lot of thinking and writing in my journal today and have come to realize that it is all OK.  I can allow myself to stay in this place for as long as I would like, but the longer I focus on it, the more the negativity in my head will expand.  After years with a head full of negativity I realize that is not a place I want to go.  So I am releasing these negative thoughts and moving forward to greater things.  I was never told, nor did I expect this journey to be easy, but I have learned through the help of my amazing husband and awesome support group that I can make it through anything.  I am still so much better off than I was a month ago, and yesterday I fit into a pair of jeans that didn't fit last month, so there is still reason to celebrate.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing a fantastic job on making changes! Like your life coach said, this journey is more than just what shows on the scale. Although I can totally relate to the feeling of seeing a gain on a scale and feeling devestated. I believe that the changes you are making on the inside are the hardest ones. Keep pushing forward - I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there my friend! You are doing wonderful. Just remember, when the scale goes up and down a little here and there (and it will) It's just another way your body is reacting to what you are doing. It's as if it wants to know if you are serious about this. Fight through it. All the way! Next week you will see the difference.

    ReplyDelete